FSSAI or Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is an organization established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The Act bestows wide powers and functions on it such as setting standards for food products and regulating their production, distribution and ensuring that the products are safe to be consumed.
The Food Authority is considered as a body corporate that has perpetual succession, right to possess property, common seal and the right to sue and be sued. Its head office is located in New Delhi and has various other regional offices in other states. Food license can be obtained online which is controlled by the Ministry of Health and Family Affair under the Government of India.
It is important for manufacturers, traders, sellers, etc. to register their food business that can is dependent on its annual turnover. Even small food business has to register them with the food authority and it is mandatory for all food business to possess a license.
This license is a 14-digit registration number that is printed on the packed food products. This number provides information about the registration that is commonly known as the FSSAI number. If the product is imported, the packaged product must contain the FSSAI logo, license number, name and address of importer.
Types of license:
Different types of license are issued according to the turnover and nature of activity. Any organization can apply for central or state license or simply register. The types include-
- Basic registration – Small business structures that have an annual turnover of less than Rs.12 lakhs apply for basic registration and this can subsequently be upgraded to state license.
- State license – Business organizations that have an annual turnover ranging between Rs.12 to 20 crores with a better sales graph apply for this license.
- Central license – Large companies with an annual turnover of minimum Rs.20 croreshave to apply for the central license. Also, such a license is essential when a product is imported or exported or if the product is to be supplied at the offices of the government.
Process for online registration:
- Visit the official website of FSSAI. Go to http://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in
- Next, the sign-up form has to be filled.
- The person or organization has to register to complete the sign-up process.The account is then is activated and the user ID is valid for 30 days.
- The person has to apply for registration by filling the online application form (Registration Form A). The reference number given is later used to track the status of registration.
- The printed form of this form has to be submitted to the regional authority along with the documents within 15 days from the date of making the online submission.
- Form B has to be submitted to the government once the payment confirmation is reflected in the FSSAI account. A number of declarations and resolutions have to be submitted along with the application and the company secretary should prepare these.
- The concerned government department takes 45-60 days to review and approve the application. It may also send the application back for some changes and if the company does not respond within 15 days, the application is rejected.
- Identity proof
- Address proof
- A copy of owned property papers or rented property agreement
- A blueprint
- The electricity or water bill of the place of business
- Form IX (nomination of persons by a company along with Board Resolution
- Affidavit, Declaration and Food Safety Management Plan
- The list of food category to be manufactured
- List of equipment and machinery
- ISI approved Water Testing Report
- NOC from the owner or partner
- Medical certificate of employees
Different FSSAI registrations are required for the business operating at different locations. Also, the registration is usually valid for one or two years and can be renewed based on the business requirements. Thus, it is necessary for people dealing in food business to get an FSSAI registration in India, which authenticates the quality of the product, allows the business to run smoothly.